Today is my birthday. One of them at least. I like to think my blog has two birthdays. The first birthday is the day I posted my first blog post. The second is the day I got rid of my crappy blogger page, the bad html and moved into wordpress. Today is birthday number one. One year ago, I posted my first blog post. (Though I have since deleted it because it was sort of useless- the first blog post to appear is on how to buy an around the world ticket)
I started my blog as a way to talk about travel, promote me, and maybe make some money. I had dreams of becoming the Bill Bryson of the internet. I haven’t. But I have accomplished a lot of other stuff. Blogging has been a lot more work than I thought it would be. I devote countless hours to this website. Lately, my online business has sidetracked me from being a good blogger but this anniversary has reminded me of my roots and I plan to be a better blogger.
I used to spend all my free time on this website. Now I only spend about 75% of my free time on this website. Despite the time commitment, it has been a wonderful year and I am forever glad I started this website. I have gotten to know (sometimes personally) so many great people, been involved in a lot of great opportunities, got to know many of the travel companies I used, and gotten some great travel freebies.
Since I started this blog one year ago:
- I now get an average of 2,500 visitors per day.
- I get over 200,000 page views a month.
- I have 751 RSS subscribers as of today.
- I have 924 Twitter friends.
- I have been featured in the Baltimore Sun.
- I’ve meet about 15 different travel bloggers in person. I even stayed in the home of one!
- Most importantly, I’ve made a lot of good friends- even if our connection is mostly virtual. They are always there to help me when I need it and are very supportive. Thanks and I owe you all!
It has been a great year and I can’t wait to see what this upcoming year has in store. I can’t even imagine how many more people I will meet or how my blog will grow. It’s hit a plateau right now but I am going to take it to the next level this year. I’m not sure how yet but I will. I titled my first post “A Brave New World” and I can say it really has been.
Happy Birthday to me!