See More, Spend Less, Travel Deeper
The City That Never Sleeps. The Big Apple. The Empire City. Gotham. No matter the nickname, New York has a special place in the history and consciousness of the world. Home to nearly 8.5 million people, it is a major hub for global finance, art, theater, fashion, and food. It draws people from cultures and ethnicities from all over the world.
No matter where I travel in the world, people light up when I tell them I live here. “Ohhh New York,” they say. “I would love to go there. It’s my dream.”
With its iconic skyline, towering skyscrapers, crowded streets lined with ethnic cuisine, theater, parks, and the fact it’s the backdrop for like 50% of the movies out there, it is no wonder that it has always been one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world.
Hi! My name is Nomadic Matt, and I’ve been traveling the world for the last ten years. When I’m not on the road, I’ve live in New York City and have used my personal, insider view to write this guidebook. I know the city like the back of my hand. I’ll give you local, insider knowledge to help you get off-the-beaten path and into the little secret spots free of tourists.
I remember the moment I feel in love with the city. It was on New Year’s in 1999. As the new millennium ticked over, I sat outside with friends, looked up Broadway, and watched the ball drop in the distance. When it came time to slow my travels, I knew there was no other city to move to. When I’m in NYC, I still feel like I’m traveling: languages I don’t know are spoken all around me and I can get food from any country in the world. To me, NYC is the heart of the world.
But I know visit to NYC can be overwhelming. There’s just so much to see and do that it’s easy to and miss some of the little out-of-the-way places and sites that make NYC unique. This travel guide offers an inside look into hostels, restaurants, bars, neighborhoods, and attractions so that you can get the most bang for your buck while visiting.
Too many people think NYC is “too expensive” but actors, writers, and everyday people manage to live in the city without going bust. They do so because there are TONS of cheap things to do here. You just have to know where to find them – and, in this guide, I’ll point you in the right direction!
What’s in this New York City Guide?
- A history of New York City – Learn about the local culture and history in a short introduction about the city and guides to each of its neighborhoods.
- Budgeting advice – Suggested amounts for every budget and money saving tips will help you have the best experience possible without breaking the bank.
- Suggested itineraries – Three, four, and five day itineraries are included to make planning your trip and managing your time while you’re there as easy as possible.
- The best things to see and do – Explore the unique, beautiful, inexpensive, and often-overlooked sights of the city to make your trip unforgettable.
- Neighborhood information – Get the low down on all of NYC’s best neighborhoods with where to go, when to go, and what to see.
- Accommodation suggestions – Find the best type of accommodation for your wallet with advice from a professional budget traveler.
- Food tips – This city is full of delicious, cheap food. I’ll tell you where my favorite restaurants and places to eat are so you can enjoy the mouthwatering local cuisine.
- Bars and clubs – Drinking and partying on a trip is often expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. I’ll tell you how to drink like a local at the most unique nightlife locales in the city.
- Transportation advice – When traveling, using public transport to get around is often a stressful and confusing ordeal. Learn all the cheapest routes and options ahead of time.
- Practical information – No matter how prepared you think you are for traveling to particular countries, things can go wrong and customs can get overlooked. You’ll always be prepared with this extensive list of important information for travelers.
- Related books and movies – Get inspired for your trip by watching some the best movies and books about New York that I’ve ever watched and read.
Plan Your NYC Adventure Today!
Get this $6.99 guidebook can be downloaded to your Kindle, computer, tablet, or phone so you can access it anytime on the road. It’s cheaper and less cumbersome than a traditional guidebook and will help you navigate New York City like a local, avoid the crowds, and save money so you can travel cheaper, better, and smarter!
What Readers Are Saying
“What makes this guidebook so fantastic is that everything included is right to the point! We followed some of the money-saving tips and saved a ton. The suggested itineraries saved us a lot of time and we particularly enjoyed the attractions labeled as “Nomadic Matt’s absolute favorites”! This list included attractions that are not so much popular among visitors but really worth a visit! Highly recommend this NYC guidebook!” — Marianna
“Matt’s book saved me hours sitting at my computer and googling. Some of them I don’t think I would find at all. He included great budget tips and a lot of interesting places to see and do on our next visits as well.” — Maria
What makes your guide different? It caters to budget travelers and helps those previously discouraged by financial budgets to make their travel dreams come true. In addition, all of the information included in this guide is from first-hand experience by a professional nomad and best-selling author.
What makes you an expert on New York City? I’ve lived in the city for the past three years! All of the recommendations in this guide are my personal favorite places to go, see, eat, and drink.
What’s the difference between this guide and the information on this site? While the website has a lot of good information on NYC, it doesn’t offer specific accommodation, restaurant, bar recommendations, neighborhood information, itineraries, and extensive money saving tips. It doesn’t give any sort of background on the history of the city, tell you anything about the culture there, or go over important information like customs, laws, visa, and emergency information. This 80-page guidebook goes into way more detail than a couple thousand word blog posts can!
How frequently is this guide updated? This guide is updated yearly.
How will this save me money? This guidebook was written for budget travelers by a budget traveler. It includes cheaper options for food, activities, and accommodation, as well as tips to save money while still having a high-quality travel experience.
Is this guide available in print? No, it is only available as an e-book (for PDF or Kindle).
If I have any questions or concerns, can I contact you? Of course! You can contact me via email anytime: [email protected]