Wild nightlife. Beautiful temples. A diverse international city. The best (and cheapest) Thai food you can ever imagine. A shopping paradise. Thailand’s capital, a bustling metropolis popular for its decorative shrines and chaotic street life, has a lot to offer travelers. Crowded and overly chaotic, Bangkok doesn’t appeal to travelers the first time. Many people don’t like it – but that’s because they don’t really get to see it. The city is like an onion and you have to peel back layers to really get to see why so many travelers and expats settle into the city. Bangkok is a city with tons of stuff to do, especially when you ditch the typical tourist path.
My name is Nomadic Matt and I’ve been traveling the world since 2005. I’ve been to Bangkok dozens of times and spent two years living in the city as an English teacher. I know the city like the back of my hand and used my personal experience to write this direct and straightforward guidebook. This comprehensive guide features insider tips on places to eat, stay, and play. I’ll give you local, insider knowledge to help you get off the beaten path and into the little secret spots free of tourists.
My advice will help you have the perfect trip. This guide is meant for travelers looking to get the most of Bangkok on a budget. In it, I share all my favorite budget tips, tricks, and spots so you don’t have to make rookie mistakes like falling for the tuk-tuk temple scam or being overcharged for a river boat cruise.
What’s in this Bangkok Guidebook?
- Budget advice – Learn money saving tips and get suggested budgets so you’ll know how much you’ll need and ways to save for your next trip.
- The best things to see and do – Explore the unique, beautiful, inexpensive, and overlooked sights of the city. Avoid the touristy stuff and get to see something unique.
- Suggested itineraries – Two, three, and five day itineraries are included to make planning and navigating your visit as easy as possible.
- A history of Bangkok – Learn about the history of Bangkok and how it became the bustling metropolis it is today.
- Neighborhood information – Get the low down on all of Bangkok’s best neighborhoods with where to go, when to go, and what to see.
- Accommodation suggestions – Get a list of my favorite, unique budget-friendly places to stay in the city.
- Bars and clubs – Get away from all the tourists and hang out with locals and expats with this nightlife list!
- Transportation advice – When traveling, using public transport to get around is often a stressful and confusing ordeal. Learn all the cheapest routes and options ahead of time.
- Food tips – Get a list of all the best street stalls, markets, and restaurants in the city from my favorite Pad Thai vendor to the best sushi to the best soup and everything in between. Don’t settle for crappy noodles on Khao San Rd!
- Practical information – Get the essential tips that make guidebooks so useful with information on tipping, visas, public holidays, embassies, currencies, emergency numbers, working hours, weather, and much, much more.
- Related books and movies – Get inspired for your trip with these incredible books and movies about the City of Angels!
Start Planning Your Trip Today
You can get this $9.99 guide for your phone, Kindle, iPad, or computer so can access it on the road. You’ll be able to access it without wifi and have all the information at your fingertips. This book will help you navigate Bangkok like a local, avoid the tourist spots, find the best food, bars, and sights all while saving you money so you can travel cheaper, better, and smarter!
“I spent some time researching where to go and what to do on the internet before my trips, but didn’t find anything as specific as the Nomadic Matt guides. I really appreciated all of the free information on his website, and found the guides to be a great value. Not too expensive, and a good amount of knowledge to digest while traveling. I’ll buy another guide in the future when I’m traveling again!” — Jonathan