While it’s not one of Switzerland’s busiest or diverse areas, this place is quaint, relaxing and full of adventure. Take in its unique cobblestone streets and drink a glass of wine at one of their many quaint cafes while you watch the view of the mountains. Interlaken is a great place for mountain related sports. The beautiful scenery and large number of pubs makes this a popular backpacker destination during the summer time.
- Hostel Prices: Rates start at $28 USD per night for a dorm room. The two most popular backpacker hostels are Balmers and Funny Farm. Balmers does run a “tent city” hostel off site that is open from May through September. A 6 bed tent is $25 USD and there is a bar and jacuzzi.
- Budget Hotel Prices: Although Interlaken is a touristy town, you can find a decent hotel, starting at $55-67 USD per night.
- Average Cost of Food: Dinner is usually $28 USD at a decent restaurant. Consider going to Migros next to the train station for local and cheap dishes at a fraction of the cost. You can get a small meal for $12 USD and Balmers Hostel has a restaurant/bar and meals start at around $15 USD.
- Transportation Costs: Interlaken is small enough to walk or ride a bicycle anywhere you need to go. You don’t need to pay for transportation around town. You can rent a bike from
Daniel’s Fun Rental for $18 USD for 3 hours or $33 USD for the full day.
Top Things to Do
- Visit the Giessbach Waterfalls – Rent a bike and bike to the beautiful cascading Giessbach. On your way back, ride around Lake Brienz for an added treat.
- Try an Adventure Sport – Interlaken is filled with outdoor activities. Other than the ordinary, they also have bungee jumping, skydiving, rock climbing, river rafting and paragliding. This is a place to be active when you are traveling around Europe, especially during the summer time.
- Visit the lakes - Interlaken is full of lakes (hence, the name). Spend the day with a picnic at Lake Thun, Lake Brienz, or try Aere River, go for a swim, have a picnic, get a tan, or hike the surrounding trails.
- Take a boat trip – Boats traveling the Thunersee allow you to see many of the surrounds towns and countryside. It makes for a beautiful day. Plus, the boat is free if you have the Swiss rail pass.
- Enjoy the night life – Interlaken is a big destination for backpackers to enjoy nature, drink big steins of beer, and relax. During the summer time, this place is booked out far in advance and people spend their days exploring the mountains and their nights exploring how much they can drink.
- Visit in the summer - During the summer time, there are a lot of free activities to do here. There’s hiking, climbing, running, swimming, going to the lakes and much more. Switzerland is very expensive so the best time to come is in the summer when you don’t have to pay for much.
- Cook your meals - Cook your own meals as food is super expensive and will kill your budget. There is a COOP market right accross from the main train station, Interlaken Ost. The hostels have kitchens for guest use.