The skeletal remains of the A-Bomb Dome in Hiroshima, Japan
History: This building was one of the city’s best-known sights, designed by Czech architect Jan Letzel in 1915, the Hiroshima Prefectural Commercial Exhibition Hall (and its famous green dome) had a European style. Because the explosion took place almost directly above the building, the walls remained largely intact, even as the dome shattered and the people inside were killed by the heat of the blast. Initially, as the city rebuilt, it was left alone simply because it was more difficult to demolish than other remains in the area; gradually, the A-Bomb Dome became the symbol of the blast. The “Hiroshima Peace Memorial” was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1996.