Khao San Road is the infamous backpacker/tourist street in Bangkok. All travel roads lead in and out of there. However, it is more than just a transit hub for travelers:
Khao San Travel Tips:
- The street food on Khao San isn’t good. For better food, go to Soi Rambuttri. There is a little group of food stalls outside the 7-11 and the Pizza Company restaurant.
- While Khao San closes at 2 am, Soi Rambuttri stays open all night long.
- Never get a taxi or Tuk Tuk from Khao San, you WILL get ripped off.
- If you need a taxi, head down to the side of the street with the Burger King, walk to the main road and get a cab there. You’ll always get the meter.
- Brick Bar is a great place to hear local Thai music. It’s behind the McDonald’s.
- Shamrock plays great live rock music.
- The outdoor drinking stalls and Center Khao San are the best places to meet other travelers.
- D&D Inn offers really clean private rooms, air con, a decent breakfast, and a pool for 500 baht a night. It may be expensive but for what they offer, it is a good deal.
(Editor’s Note: I’m still working out this video thing. This is only my third video but I’m getting better. I’ve moved to Adobe for editing, I have a mic, and I’m looking at the camera more. My biggest issue now is trying to get my videos to take up the whole Youtube screen. Any help on that would be great!)
Get My Complete Guide for Budget Travelers!
Looking for more in-depth coverage on Bangkok? I used to live in this city and know it like the back of my hand. My detailed guide to enjoying one of the most fun, chaotic, lively, and interesting cities in the world will help you plan the perfect trip. This guide cuts out the fluff and gives you the practical information you need to have the most fun on the least amount of money. You’ll get suggested itineraries, budgets, ways to save money, ideas on what to see and do, off-the-beaten path activities, and authentic, non-touristy restaurants and bars. This guide contains the essentials you need.
(Don’t have a Kindle? You can get the PDF here.)